Friday, August 22, 2008

Unwelcome Houseguests

After a very full summer, Matt thought he would spend this evening working on some of the house projects that have been left unfinished (for example: both of our bathrooms). I was, of course, delighted. He finished off the bathtub plumbing in the kids' bathroom so they can finally take a bath in there. I was ecstatic.

Then he turned his attention toward replacing the tile in our bathroom. He did that remodel when I was consumed with caring for a newborn and unable to give myself completely to my usual obsessive research and endless list of "what-ifs." We missed the memo about concrete board. Thus, we are paying the dumb tax. He had removed about 6 square feet of tile, and then:

"Oh, no."

"What?!"

"We have a problem."

"Has the shower been leaking under the tile? I knew it. It's been a year and a half, and now the black mold will snuff out our promising young lives..." (Feel free to imagine your own version of me nagging and freaking out).

"No, it's not water. It's termites. Many, many termites. And we won't be able to get the bug guy out here until Monday at the earliest."

"Good thing you decided to fix the kids' bathroom earlier."

"Oh, you can still take a shower in our bathroom."

"With the termites?! Aren't they running around in there destroying everything in their path?"

"Well, yeah, but they hide when you turn the light on."

"Right...you know, I can't believe you didn't make it as a salesman."

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You know, I'm not sure I'm liking how I look in the last few postings. I think you should tell them about that time I did that thing, and it was great.

Parkerchica said...

Well, this is a family friendly blog.

Audra Jennings said...

Remind me to never, ever read your comments.

Parkerchica said...

Most of the time Matt is the only one to leave one. Until I talked to you last night, I thought he was the only one reading my blog.