Monday, January 19, 2009

A Little Vocabulary is a Dangerous Thing

This weekend was our winter youth retreat. Matt and I were gone for several days, and our kids spent the weekend basking in the Poppa treatment and eating no-fuss foods like macaroni and cheese and pb&j. They were delighted.

So when we sat down to a dinner of oh-so-healthy chicken taco soup tonight, the reception was underwhelming. Allow me to offer the instant replay:

We sprinkle cheese on top. No dice. The three year old is the first to speak.

"Mommy, I do not appreciate soup."

I stifle a smile. "Well, Mariah, I'd hate for you to eat something you didn't appreciate. Feel free to remain hungry."

The five year old weighs in, scooping up a black bean.

"Look, Daddy. I found a seed. I better not eat a seed. It might not be safe. You wouldn't want me to be dangerous."

Matt smiles politely. "Merrilee, that is a bean. It is quite tasty and will make you run like a racehorse."

Child eyes legume incredulously. "If you say so..."

Silence.

Then the verdict: "Daddy, I have an observation (thank you, PBS kids). I tried to eat this big bean, but it didn't work out for me."

At least they are progressing beyond the standard "I don't wanna." With any luck, in several years, they will be able to sass us with impeccable grammar.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't wait for round 2 tomorrow.

"Hey girls, remember these bowls of soup? Bon appetit!"

C said...

I sent this link to Michael. I think he read it about 20 times before going to sleep last night.

We needed that giggle.

Audra Jennings said...

I'm quite disappointed that this conversation didn't happen when I was over for the chicken taco soup that I might add was quite tasty.

I don't appreciate soup? That's a good one. It almost sounds like they had all of this planned before they sat down at the table.

C said...

It is christinemoers [at] hotmail [dot] com

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Man Crew said...

Oh my gravy, Misha....I think I just peed my pants...LOL! I ncase you don't remember me, I'm Matt's cousin on his mom's side. Kristy here, the Mama of the Man Crew. I found your blog after my Mom (Aunt Vondy) was in OH last weekend. I have been reading your blogs and cracking up...thanks for sharing bits and pieces of your life with us! I fyou want, you can catch up on our adventures out here in the wilds of NM. It's at www.themancrew.blogspot.com Have a great week and nice to find you on here!
Blessings,
Cousin Kristy