Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Hooray For Fall!

Today a big limb fell from our massive oak tree and landed on our little picket fence, knocking one panel loose. The panel was fine--all we had to do was nail it back in place--but my fall bloomers that were just about to begin the show were all squashed. Alas. Ah, well, I shall not allow a pesky limb and some trampled autumn joy sedum to trample my own sense of autumn joy. The fall is my favorite, even though Texas is not exactly known for its crisp fall weather or colorful leaves. Actually, we do have two colors: green and brown. Still, I love it!

Hooray for fall!
Hooray for Meet the Teacher night and school supplies! Hooray for fingerpaint and naptime and sloppy joes and lunch ladies!
Hooray for field trips on big yellow buses!
Hooray for hayrides and weenie roasts! Hooray for s'mores!
Hooray for chrysanthemums and pumpkin patches!
Hooray for It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!
Hooray for football games! Hooray for geeky band uniforms! Hooray for school spirit and cheerleaders who write brilliant alliterative slogans like "Swat the Skeeters" and "Trounce the Tigers" in giant bubble letters on posters!
Hooray for mulled cider and pumpkin pie! Hooray for steaming pots of soup and chili! Hooray for hot chocolate with teeny tiny marshmallows!
Hooray for pumpkin spice and harvest spice and all the other spicy scents they use for fall candles!
Hooray for great big piles of leaves perfect for jumping!
Hooray for candy corn and popcorn balls and bobbing for apples!
Hooray for trick-or-treaters in little kitty cat and princess and cowboy costumes! (Sorry, even my good Baptist upbringing couldn't stop me from blurting that one out. I do frown on dead cheerleader outfits, if that will redeem me in anyone's eyes).
Hooray for sweaters and, if we're lucky, for sweater weather!

Hooray!

Okay, I'm finished now. That was exhilirating.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hooray for the smell of leaves blowing in the wind. I can't help it. I love it, too. And I'm coming out as a man who loves to wear sweaters!

It is a delight to read this stuff.

C said...

Hooray for a rainy day that sorta' kinda' LOOKED like fall out the window!

Lori Motl said...

I really do enjoy reading your blog. I loved this one...I too love fall. I love the anticipation of the holidays, the parades downtown, the chilly nights...I too could go on. Thanks for sharing!

mimip said...

And hooray for rainy days to sit in a quasi-darkened room, with the wind blowing and light rain...raining, and reading, or listening to the hum of a washing machine or other such noise, with hot chocolate in hand and wrapped in something warm and toasty!!! I can hardly wait - no, it's actually here. I've already broke out the pumpkins and flags saying "Come on in Fall" - and spending time with my family. This is MY favorite time of year - what a wonderful summary of all that's FALL!!
And yes, Matt, it is a delight to read this stuff!!