Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Matt's New Digs

After four years at our little church, my husband is about to achieve a major milestone.

His own office.

For four years, his "office" has been the old dumpy couch-filled space reserved for youth Sunday school and one of our youth small groups on Sunday night. As any of you who have taught the upper grades or raised adolescents can attest to, teenagers molt trash--funyun wrappers, coke cans, plates of congealed rotel, notes passed during the service (did you fall for that one? Ha! How irrelevant you are! omg! No self-respecting teenager has passed a note since the invention the text message. lol...yeah, I don't text message much. I have too much to say, and there's this darned obsession with accurate spelling.) Every week we would find a pair of dirty socks lying somewhere, as if someone were marking his territory. Matt's desk was crammed in behind the couches and was a favorite spot for pretty much every member of our church under the age of 18. For a few years the church housed a little Christian school, so he officed in the youth room/library/school copy room. There was no lock on the door, and people streamed in and out constantly.

My husband is one of the most humble people I know. He never complained. Until the candy started disappearing from the secret stash in his old filing cabinet. And then someone broke the weird little running man statue we bought at IKEA. Some people have no respect for art! The darkest day came when some irreverent soul desecrated his Chia Scooby Doo. That was the last straw.

He stuck his desk in the corner, constructing a makeshift wall between him and the parasites out of shabby bookcases. The area was maybe 5 ft x 5 ft. There was more of an implied barrier--but still no door. Therefore, the candy bandit is still at large. But now there's nothing left but a giant bag of hard candy that arrived from the Oriental Trading Company shortly after Matt was hired. You know, the kind you never wanted to get on Halloween.

About a year and a half ago we got a new pastor that energized our little fellowship and stirred up lots of new ideas. We must have a lobby, the people said. And perhaps an office for Matt, some kind soul chimed in.

So the old youth space is being repurposed to create this new lobby and an office for Matt. The original plan had been to just throw up a real wall where the shabby bookcase wall had been. Sure, Matt's office would have been the size of a pantry. But at least there would be a door. He was filled with joy. A door! With a lock! And just when he thought things couldn't get any better...

(phone rings)

"Hello?"

"I have the greatest news ever. You just won't believe it."

"You got tickets to see Prairie Home Companion?"

"No, it's even better than that. I'm getting a window."

"A window! Wow, honey, this is such great news. Nobody deserves a window more than you."

"This is the best day ever."

And there you have it. A locked door to protect the candy, and a window, to boot. Keep your expectations low and you'll seldom be disappointed.

10 comments:

Audra Jennings said...

I'm going to comment before Matt! I'm going to comment before Matt!

Yea me! I'm so happy for Matt. I'm officially the only person in our building without a window to the outside world, and I can't see anything but ceiling through the four high windows in my office out to the hall and whatever you want to call the room with the refrigerator and copier. Of course, the alley isn't a site to see.

I hope that bag of Oriental candy finally gets thrown away.

Audra Jennings said...

Oh, and my second comment, that I forgot to make was that I totally get the low expectations and can't be disappointed thing. I totally agree with that.

mimip said...

Well, all I can say is - it's about time!!! Everyone deserves a wall (he doesn't have to build it himself, does he?) and windows - enough said about that!!! (and boss, if you're reading this, I don't have one either!!). And since he is MY son-in-law, and obviously the best one in all of history (I mean, he DID marry my daughter - smart choice on his part -) he deserves only the best, even if it IS a pantry!!
And just what IS the candy he likes?!?!?!?!

Parkerchica said...

Given the choice, he'll have Reese's cups or Mr. Goodbar (yuck). He wouldn't turn his nose up at milk duds, snickers, kit-kat, or twix bars either.

Audra Jennings said...

I haven't eaten chocolate in over two years, but I'm about ready to hit Matt's hidden stash. I'm just in a terribly rotten mood today.

mimip said...

No chocolate in 2 years - how'd you do that? you know that statement a day without sunshine is like a day without ??? oh well, maybe it's like a day without aricept. Who knows? But no chocolate - you're either really strong or really brave?

where is the secret stash when you need it?

Audra Jennings said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Audra Jennings said...

Yeah, the no chocolate thing is the longest thing I think I've ever stuck to. I don't even want it anymore. It's pretty easy to say no now. I just need to try to get off Mexican food. I think that would kill me though.

(I deleted my last comment because I can't spell, and that's just embarrassing to see in print.)

Lori Motl said...

me obsessed with soundtracks after your post about them! I'm hunting the on iTunes right now. It's such fun! Thanks!

poppap said...

Is Matt making a window box for his window. He has experience you know.